As a fund attorney, Joel advises managers of venture capital and private equity funds on the structuring of their domestic (German) and foreign fund structures. A particular focus of his work increasingly lies on impact funds and ESG aspects (developing ESG policies, SFDR, Taxonomy). On those topics, Joel maintains close ties with and often collaborates on an interdisciplinary basis with non-legal advisors. In addition, Joel assists our clients with their worldwide fundraising as well as with tackling supervisory and compliance requirements.
Joel's advice covers conceptualizing the fund structure, drafting the fund documentation, assisting with obtaining regulatory permissions, as well as fundraising and investor onboarding including aspects relating to compliance with anti-money-laundering provisions and other norms, both leading up to closing and during the term of the fund.
Education and Career
Joel studied law at Hamburg-based Bucerius Law School (LLB 2009), at Queen Mary University of London, at Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy in Medford, Massachusetts/USA (LL.M. 2015) as well as a Cross Registrant at Harvard Law School.
Before joining SMP, he was a senior associate with the Private Funds Team of P+P Pöllath + Partner in the firm's Frankfurt and Berlin offices, practicing in the field of investment regulatory law and fund structuring.
Joel's recent work highlights include advising:
- a German buy-out house on the fundraising of a Luxembourg-Guernsey structure and, on an ongoing basis, regarding governance and compliance
- a German multi-strategy sponsor and advisor of a Luxembourg structure
- an EIB-sponsored blended-finance Luxembourg structure with a circular economy strategy and a German advisor
- several venture capital managers on drafting the fund documentation, obtaining KAGB and EuVE-CA registrations as well as on worldwide fundraising including investor onboarding and ongoing compliance
- various impact fund managers on their fund structuring (including remuneration systems such as 'impact carry') and ongoing matters
- on a roll-over secondary transaction of a venture capital fund
* not a partner within the meaning of the German Partnership Company Act (Partnerschaftsgesellschaftsgesetz – PartGG)
- German qualified attorney (Rechtsanwalt)
- LL.M. (Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy)