Ulrich advises DAX-listed corporate groups, large and small family-owned companies of different legal forms as well as private clients on matters of German and international tax law. His main areas of expertise include corporate tax law, cross-border tax structuring, balance-sheet tax law as well as corporate acquisitions. In addition, he has a proven track record regarding the taxation of partnerships, one of the main areas in which YPOG provides tax advice.
Ulrich is a member of the Scientific Advisory Council of the well-established Berlin Tax Talks (Berliner Steuergespräche), of the Expert Advisory Council of the professional journal Der Betrieb, and of the Specialist Institute of Tax Advisors (Fachinstitut der Steuerberater). Moreover, he is the editor and author of several handbooks on fiscal unities for tax purposes, on international reorganization tax law, and on balance-sheet tax law. In addition, Ulrich regularly publishes on matters of company taxation.
Education and Career
Ulrich studied economics in Cologne. After graduating with a degree in business administration (Diplom-Kaufmann), he obtained a Ph.D. in economics (Dr. rer. pol.). Subsequently, he passed the professional exams as a qualified tax advisor and as a qualified auditor. Prior to joining YPOG as Of Counsel, Ulrich was a partner inter alia with Rädler Raupach Bezzenberger (later Oppenhoff & Rädler) in Cologne, with FGS in Bonn, and with KPMG in Cologne. Most recently, he was Of Counsel and Managing Director with WTS in Cologne.
Since 1998, Ulrich has been a lecturer in balance-sheet tax law and company taxation at the Law Faculty of Düsseldorf University, where he has held an honorary professorship since 2005.
- German qualified tax advisor (Steuerberater)
- German qualified auditor (Wirtschaftsprüfer)
- Honorary professor, Law Faculty, Düsseldorf University
- Beck’sches Handbuch der GmbH [Beck’s Handbook of the GmbH]
Prinz/Winkeljohann (eds.), 6th edition 2021, C.H. Beck publishing house [in German]
- Beck’sches Handbuch der Personengesellschaften [Beck’s Handbook of Partnerships]
Prinz/Kahle (eds.), 5th edition 2021, C.H. Beck publishing house [in German]
- Steuerliche Organschaft [Fiscal Unities for Tax Purposes]
Prinz/Witt (eds.), 2nd edition 2019, Dr. Otto Schmidt publishing house [in German]
- Handbuch Bilanzsteuerrecht [Handbook Balance-Sheet Tax Law]
Prinz/Kanzler (eds.), 3rd edition 2018, NWB publishing house [in German]
- Umwandlungen im Internationalen Steuerrecht [Reorganizations under International Tax Law]
Prinz (ed.), 2013, Dr. Otto Schmidt publishing house [in German]
- Partnerships under the Law on Fiscal Unities for Tax Purposes
in: Festschrift für [Commemorative publication in honor of] Wolfgang Kessler on the occasion of his 65th birthday, edited by Herzig/Förster/Schnitger/Levedag, Munich 2021, C.H. Beck publishing house [in German]
- Fiscal unities for tax purposes and the law on intercompany agreements: a well thought-out or a somewhat problematic combination?
in: Festschrift in honor of Ulrich Seibert on the occasion of his 65th birthday, edited by Bergmann/Hoffmann-Becking/Noack, 2019, Dr. Otto Schmidt publishing house [in German]
- Reflections on balance-sheet law: crystallization of legal and economic considerations
in: Festschrift in honor of Georg Crezelius on the occasion of his 70th birthday, edited by Fischer/Geck/Haarmann, 2018, Dr. Otto Schmidt publishing house [in German]
as well as numerous other publications on matters of balance-sheet tax law and company taxation